archive-gr.com » GR » A » AUTH.GR

Total: 1266

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Greek Manuscript Collection | ARISTOTLE UNIVERSITY OF THESSALONIKI
    consisted of forty manuscripts most of which were bought from private collectors They were described by A Sigalas Professor of Philosophy who was in charge of their collection in his book entitled The Religious Life of the Greek Communities in Macedonia Archives and Libraries of West Macedonia Thessaloniki 1939 pp 156 170 Linos Politis contributed greatly to the expansion of the collection As he was appointed to the position of professor at the Faculty of Philosophy in 1948 it was at his initiative that the collection was enriched some of the manuscripts were donated by private collectors others were bought and others were part of stolen property restored to the state pursuant to judicial decisions In 1976 Politis wrote and published a brief description of manuscripts 41 88 in his work entitled Brief Record of Greek Manuscript Collections Thessaloniki 1976 pp 42 48 Before moving to Athens in 1977 Politis gave to his assistant P Sotiroudis the 88 manuscripts which were housed in the Library of Classical Philology Over the years fifteen manuscripts were added to the collection at the initiative of P Sotiroudis Seven of these manuscripts were found among printed books in the Central Library of the Aristotle University whereas the remaining eight were discovered mainly in fragments while clearing the paleographic material housed in the Library of Classical Philology The AUTh manuscripts catalogue Apart from the brief description of manuscripts 41 88 Politis also provided a full description of all manuscripts After his death this handwritten catalogue was donated to the School of Philology which undertook its publication Its editing was assigned to P Sotiroudis and A Sakellaridou Sotiroudi assistants then and supervision was assigned to professor G Parasoglou The catalogue was expanded with the description of the ten manuscripts which were known to be housed in

    Original URL path: http://www.auth.gr/en/museums_archives/xeirografa (2016-02-12)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Biblical Museum | ARISTOTLE UNIVERSITY OF THESSALONIKI
    Damianos Doikos was fulfilled After years long efforts in September 1986 the Senate of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki approved the relevant programme It wasn t long before the Biblical Museum began correspondence with museums in Europe while dealing with bureaucracy and trying to overcome obstacles The first exhibits from the Louvre Museum became part of the museum two years later in 1988 A few years later new exhibits were added in the museum namely from the Archaeological Museum of Thessaloniki and also from the British Museum in 1990 Although there is shortage of exhibits the Biblical Museum is a credit to the Faculty of Theology and to the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki in general Today visitors to the museum which is located on the 3rd floor of the building of the Faculty of Theology discover in amazement that most exhibits are not directly related to the Bible This happens due to the fact that the main objective of the museum is not to support the biblical truth that is its goal is not apologetic Rather it aims to provide a complete picture of the broader historical geographical and cultural environment of the Near East that is where the Bible

    Original URL path: http://www.auth.gr/en/museums_archives/bibliko (2016-02-12)
    Open archived version from archive

  • University Campus Maps Collection | ARISTOTLE UNIVERSITY OF THESSALONIKI
    events influenced the university campus and vice versa as well as on the urban planning of the university In the past the area where the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki is now located was part of the east area of the city where the streams of Agios Pavlos and Chortatzidon crossed Construction works at the university campus were undertaken in 1927 when the building where the Turkish Preparatory Faculty Idadiye was previously housed was granted by the Greek State to the university along with its surrounding garden More areas were allotted or bought until 1955 when the site of the university campus was fully landscaped In the past and for many centuries the largest part of the area where the university campus is now located was taken up by Greek and mainly Jewish cemeteries these cemeteries covered the area even before the city was occupied by the Turks The refugee settlement of Agia Fotini which after the Asia Minor disaster housed thousands of refugees for decades was also built in a specific part of the area now owned by the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki The research which revealed material of considerable interest The writers of the above book tried to approach their subject with maps and topographic diagrams of the area as well as maps which were drawn up in different time periods and for different purposes The history of building the university campus was studied in connection with the maps and topographic diagrams which were later included in the book as well as after taking into consideration basic historical literature The outcome of this combined research was the fact that a significant amount of information about various events was published for the first time In order to collect such maps topographic diagrams and also era specific documents the two writers

    Original URL path: http://www.auth.gr/en/museums_archives/xartes (2016-02-12)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Portrait collection of the professors of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki | ARISTOTLE UNIVERSITY OF THESSALONIKI
    making The portraits of the professors of the Aristotle University constitute one of the most important parts of the university collection of works of art whose compilation began in 1958 and which consists of paintings sculptures and engravings All portraits were made after the death of the professors and the fact that only photographs were available made the work of the artists even harder Portraits were commissioned by the Rector s Council upon the relevant proposal of the competent art committee For practical reasons the possibility of conducting an open public tender process was not considered However the process of directly assigning the portrait to be made demanded that the committee be impartial and select a different artist every time The fact that these portraits were intended for the main official space of the university the Ceremony Hall revealed the ideological significance attached to the collection and indicated that the university was not only interested in honouring the members who had been directly linked to its history but also in underlining its brilliant past its present and its achievements over the years The power of the image The portraits cover a period of about fifty years Although the portrait of Alexandros Papanastasiou was made by Constantinos Parhenis in 1924 it is one of the oldest in the collection and was donated to the university by the artist himself the remaining portraits were made between 1932 and 1980 Overall there are 76 portraits of the founder of and the professors who taught at the Schools of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki Four or five of these portraits were made before 1945 Fifty artists have made the portraits among whom there are some of the most important Greek artists who belong to different generations and eras and who have used different techniques

    Original URL path: http://www.auth.gr/en/museums_archives/prosopografies (2016-02-12)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Geology-Paleontology Museum | ARISTOTLE UNIVERSITY OF THESSALONIKI
    Geology Paleontology Museum of the School of Geology of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki was founded in 1927 It is housed in the Geology Paleontology Laboratory located in the right wing on the ground floor of the old building of the Faculty of Sciences former Faculty of Physics and Mathematics The Museum covers an area of about 60m² where the collections of the laboratory are kept These include material from the research activities carried out by its members Typical samples of geological paleontological interest from Greek areas are also displayed The Museum collections are divided intro three major categories Minerals and rocks of Greece it consists of a petrographic collection with regards to the structure and development of geology in Greece a collection of minerals from the mine in Stratoni Chalkidiki and the one in Lavrio enriched with representative minerals of Europe a collection of types of Greek marble and a collection of black coal specimens from areas around Greece A paleontological collection of invertebrate organisms which traces the evolution of invertebrate organisms through the geological time periods from 600 million years ago until today and it contains specimens from Greece and Europe such as Trilobites Ammonites Hippurites etc A paleontological collection of vertebrate organisms which traces the evolution of mammals the research activities carried out at the laboratory focus mainly on this field of study The collection mostly contains mammal fossils from various areas of Greece the Axios valley Mygdonia basin Grevena basin Thessaly Petralona Nikiti in Chalkidiki and other areas and also skulls and bones of antelopes equidae giraffes carnivore animals rhinoceros and proboscideans which lived in Greece over the last 10 million years The history of mankind The paleoanthropological collection is of great interest since it contains plaster casts of primitive primates and hominidae from all over

    Original URL path: http://www.auth.gr/en/museums_archives/geology (2016-02-12)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Museum of Zoology | ARISTOTLE UNIVERSITY OF THESSALONIKI
    Services LIFE IN AUTH Academic calendar Services Culture Student Unions You are here Home Museum of Zoology In the facilities of the Department of Zoology on the 6th floor of the building where the School of Biology is located there is a space where collections of stuffed animals from various tropical and temperate areas of the world are housed A collection of stuffed animals bought at the beginning of the 1930s by the Head of the Laboratory of Zoology Professor G Athanasopoulos was the inspiration for creating the collections mentioned above The original collection belonged to Poduskin a Russian immigrant who was an expert taxidermist Poduskin was also in charge of stuffing animals from various Greek areas appointed by the Laboratory of Zoology The collections of the Museum were enriched with other specimens which were either collected and preserved by Poduskin for his personal laboratory or bought by the Laboratory of Zoology Today 407 specimens are housed in the Museum Forty two of these specimens belong to different kinds of mammals and the remaining 365 to various kinds of birds Priceless collection Apart from the collections of stuffed animals the Laboratory of Zoology contains a priceless collection of fresh zoological material collected within the framework of research activities carried out by its members Although these collections date back to the period when Professor G Athanasopoulos was in charge of the laboratory most of the exhibits were collected over the last 40 years The collections consist of samples of invertebrate sponges corals anellida crustacea etc and vertebrate organisms mainly fish A significant part of this material has been identified and classified Among the specimens already identified many belong to rare species whereas others to newly discovered species With regard to the stuffed animals a large part of the collection is displayed

    Original URL path: http://www.auth.gr/en/museums_archives/zoology (2016-02-12)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Wildlife Museum | ARISTOTLE UNIVERSITY OF THESSALONIKI
    the faculty located in Foinikas The Museum is housed in a special area of about 700m2 and it contains approximately two hundred species of wild mammals and endemic birds as well as migratory species which visit Greece Some exhibits concern species which have become extinct or are directly threatened with extinction Establishing the museum In the 1950s Professor I Papaioannou started collecting the exhibits now displayed at the museum Though he was a professor of forest botany he insisted on the necessity of a collection of stuffed animals which would meet the research and teaching needs of the students of the School of Forestry Thanks to his constant efforts many species of stuffed animals owned by private collectors were transferred to the present Faculty of Forestry and Natural Environment Moreover Christos Gutner enriched the collection with the stuffed animals he donated to the Faculty in 1970 Later Professor G Tsoumis supervised the process of placing the exhibits in special cases ensuring thus their protection and preservation Moreover the posters from the Goulandris Natural History Museum donated by Niki Goulandri enriched the collection of the Museum The Museum which is open to the public relocated and its space was laid out when the Laboratory of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries was founded in 1975 with financial support from the Rector s Office of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki the University Forest Administration and Management Fund and the 6th Hunting Federation of Macedonia Thrace Professor N Papageorgiou was appointed Head of the Museum Sensitization to environmental issues The Museum aims to sensitize visitors and ensure their positive response to the call for the protection of nature and the necessity for the harmonious coexistence of humans and nature Apart from meeting the research and training needs of students and researchers the Museum attracts the

    Original URL path: http://www.auth.gr/en/museums_archives/panida (2016-02-12)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Botanical Museum | ARISTOTLE UNIVERSITY OF THESSALONIKI
    the 8th floor of the building of the School of Biology at the Laboratory of Systematic Botany and Phytogeography of the Department of Botany and it hosts more than 30 000 dried plant specimens It is included in the international list of botanical museums which host botanical collections Herbaria and indexed as TAU Thessaloniki Aristotle University The dried plant specimens kept in old and new drawers closets and cabinets are part of collections from contemporary and old Greek and European researchers who have studied the Greek flora Plant specimens are identified based on taxonomy process under constant revision and they are stored in drawers closets and cabinets classified according to family and species Besides its scientific Latin name each specimen is accompanied by information including the location and date of its collection as well as the name of the collector or collectors The old department of the Botanical Museum hosts broad collections of plant specimens collected in various areas in Greece from 1800 to 1950 The new department hosts plant specimens collected by contemporary researchers which are classified thematically that is according to the geographical area that the relevant research was or is still carried out specimens from the Evros Delta the mountains of Macedonia and Thrace the area of Thessaloniki and Volos the Vikos Aoos National Park Crete Mani and Chios There are also thematic collections which pertain to a plant taxon or taxa collected in various areas in Greece aromatic plants of the genus Calamintha Mentha Origanum Salvia Satureja and Thymus Research interest The collections of the Botanical Museum are a point of reference for researchers who study them in order to compare and classify correctly the plants they collect Moreover they provide researchers with information which allows them to compare the present proliferation of plant species with

    Original URL path: http://www.auth.gr/en/museums_archives/botaniko (2016-02-12)
    Open archived version from archive



  •